ACTIVATING PEOPLE FOR GOOD
Addressing Community Needs Through Volunteerism
Greater Somerset County YMCA is committed to supporting the communities we serve through the Togetherhood® Program. Togetherhood is the YMCA’s signature program in the area of Social Responsibility. This program provides members and community with rewarding opportunities to give back and support our neighbors through volunteer projects that address really need to others.
The Y has established Togetherhood committees to identify community needs and lead projects that help our members give back and support their neighbors. These committees have supported our communities through a variety of initiatives, including:
- Veteran Support – Give back to veterans who have given so much for us
- Cultural Engagement – Respect, honor and celebrate diversity that is the fabric of our communities
- Senior Outreach – Connect with seniors who often feel lonely and isolated
- Food Security – Work to ensure our neighbors in need are provided with essential nutrition during times of crisis
- Special Projects – Support events that make our community vibrant and exciting
Benefits of Togetherhood
Enriches Individuals – Volunteering provides individuals with an outlet to discover their purpose and reach their potential, helps them forge strong relationships, and can improve one’s sense of self and personal well-being.
Strengthens Community – Togetherhood leverages the Y’s powerful network and purpose-driven mission to ignite people’s potential be changemakers and improve lives of those around them, contributing to a stronger and more connected society.
Rooted In The Y’s Purpose – Togetherhood leverages the Y’s core purpose as the leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community. The Y helps us realize a shared vision where communities where all people achieve health, gain confidence, make connections, and feel secure at every stage of life.
Ways to Get Involved
Become a Committee Chair – Would you like to lead a committee that is driving change in your community? Commit to plan, attend, and lead monthly meetings; recruit and orient committee members. With Committee support, develop a calendar of projects that engage Y membership and align with the strategic priorities of the Y.
Become a Committee Member – Are you looking to make a difference in your community and have ideas for service projects? Commit to attend monthly meetings, share ideas for community service projects, help plan at least four service projects in a year and recruit volunteers.
Be a Project Volunteer – Have you been looking for an easy way to give back to your community? Become a project volunteer! All you have to do is show up and give a little bit of your time and effort.
Partner Organization/Group – Do you have a project that could use Togetherhood volunteers? Do you have something that a group of Y members and community participants could help with? Become a partner with us and present at a Togetherhood meeting.
Examples of how we’ve made a difference:
- Carnival Night for veterans at the local VA hospital
- Habitat for Humanity Workshop for the community
- Celebrating Christmas in July with local veterans
- Fall cleanup efforts in the Somerville area
- Collecting household items for families affected by fires in Hillsborough and Bernardsville
- Backpacks of food for children in Somerset County who often go hungry on weekends
- Support of veterans through donations of fresh produce, game nights and holiday caroling