SATURDAYS ARE FOR FUN
At the Y, we understand the stress and challenges that often come with caring for an individual with special needs, and strive to provide programming that helps bring families together through engaging activities. That’s where Saturdays in Motion (SIM) comes in.
Saturdays in Motion (SIM)
Saturdays in Motion (SIM) is the longest running non-public recreational program for children (ages 3-17) with autism in the United States. Autistic children (ages 3-17) and their families join together at Somerset Hills YMCA on Saturdays for two hours of recreation (from 4 – 6 p.m.). Volunteers lead the program, and carefully guide the children through an hour of gym time and a second hour in the pool. Siblings are welcome. This program is free to the community and runs from the fall to the spring.
Important Identification Information
The safety of children and all who use our facility is a top priority at the Greater Somerset County YMCA. All adult members, guests and visitors must provide a state or government-issued photo ID to enter the facility. Our buildings are protected by Raptor, an instant screening program which will allow the Greater Somerset County YMCA staff to better protect our members and guests from potential threats. The Raptor System screens for registered sex offenders in all 50 states and is used by more than 12,000 schools and facilities nationwide to keep children safe. Please come to the Y prepared to present a photo ID.
In an effort to ensure safety, and that we have adequate space and volunteers, we require every child participating in SIM be pre-registered for each event. Walk-in registrations cannot be accepted. Parents must stay at the Y for the duration of the program.
*Please note that registration for each Saturday opens up once the previous Saturday session has been completed.
If you are interested in volunteering for Saturdays in Motion (SIM) please follow these steps:
- Register for an account, or login to your existing account on the Volunteer Matters website
- Select “Project Catalogue” on the left side of the page
- Scroll down to “Saturdays in Motion” and select “Learn More” on the bottom
- Scroll down to the calendar box for available dates
- Select “Volunteer” next to the date you wish to volunteer for or orientation session you wish to attend
- On the next page select “Sign up”
- If you wish to sign up for an additional day, select “Back to Project” and repeat these steps