71% of the World is Water. Children Are 100% Curious.
GAIN SKILLS & CONFIDENCE IN THE WATER
Knowing how to swim is not a luxury; it is a necessity for children and adults alike. The YMCA’s free Safety Around Water swim program can help you make sure they about learn essential water safety skills, which can open up a world of possibilities for them to satisfy their curiosity safely.
- 30-minute class, once per week
- Ages 4-5 years, 6-9 years and 10-12 years
- FREE program for non-swimmers who have not participated in any Y swimming programs
WHAT IS SAFETY AROUND WATER?
The Safety Around Water Program introduces non-swimmers, who have never taken YMCA swimming lessons, to the water. This program equips kids with critical life skills that encourage safety and help the kids to be confident in and around water. A certified instructor teaches children two sets of skills that will reduce the risk of drowning and give them confidence in and around water. A typical session includes:
- Exercises to help children adjust to being in water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets children can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- An activity that teaches children about specific safety topics such as pool rules and boating safety
- A fun game to encourage comfort and activity around water
Each swim lesson includes a handout for parents and caregivers with additional water safety tips for kids.
HELP KEEP YOUR CHILDREN SAFE
Drowning can happen nearly anywhere with standing water. But, as a parent or caregiver, you can’t keep your children sidelined. You need to equip them with the tools they need to be confident in and around water so they don’t lose out on the health benefits of exercise, the opportunities to bond with family and friends and the sense of accomplishment when they learn new skills.
ENROLL IN A YMCA SAFETY AROUND WATER PROGRAM TODAY!
Safety Around Water is FREE to participants. It is open to anyone in the community who wants themselves and their children to learn how to be safe in and around water.
MAY SWIM EVALUATIONS
New Swim Students are required to be evaluated prior to registration for lessons. Stop by in May to participate in Swim Evaluations. Non-members can receive a membership tour too*!
*Please bring a government-issued photo ID for entry into the facility.